Monday, May 02, 2011

X-Plane versus FSX

So which is best?


Well, they both have strengths and weaknesses, which I will summarise in a short, concise post.

FSX
Graphics hog. Even on my i7-920 with 2 GTX280s in SLI, can't have all sliders maxed.
Variety of planes on offer from developers.
More support from addon manufacturers, specifically in the form of adventures, weather programs.
Flight modelling is based on tables, calibrated to reflect real-world performance.
Interface for IVAO is better, and thus I fly online with FSX (not FSX or X-Plane's fault).

X-Plane
Cheap
Flight modelling is based on aerodynamics of each surface element, calibrated to reflect real-world performance.
You can simulate marginal aerodynamics, e.g. stalling, engine loss after takeoff on a twin, etc. much better.
Instructor interface is better.
Rotorblade simulation.
Turboprop simulation.


There may be many more, but I want to make the following point: I grew up with
FS3
FS4
FS4 Graphics and sound upgrade
FS4 Scenery and plane designer
FS5
Red Baron
FS95
FS98
FS2000
FS2002
FS2004
FSX
X-Plane

And of all these, I find X-Plane the best system FOR ME. I can start the program, be up and flying very quickly, and that swings it for me. The X-Plane addon scene is catching up, and it will be interesting to see what Microsoft Flight brings to the table, as with X-Plane 10 when it is eventually released.

Both will be added to my stable.

No comments: