Monday, February 27, 2006

Satisfying weekends - keep your house clean

What makes weekends satisfying? It is not only the chance to relax after a hard week at the office. It is spending time with my daughter when she wants to, doing what she wants. It is helping cleaning house, doing dishes, laundry. So that when my wife gets home, stuff is clean.

I am reminded of a saying (author unknown): "How do you keep your house so clean?" "We clean it." As simple as that. A house does not stay clean by itself. It needs to be cleaned, swept, on a regular basis.

And so it is with my spirit. It needs to be swept clean regularly. And I only realised this profound insight as I was typing this post. Leaves and dust gather in our spirits every day, together with some leftover pizza, and empty cooldrink bottles. If we do not clean it out, the junk just piles up, attracts flies, and the rest is history.

Of course, the problem with the above analogy is that I am assuming a normal house. But if the Holy Spirit resides in such a house, filling me with abundance, and overflowing, how much space is there for junk exactly?

From the Amplified translation:
1Co 6:19 Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,
1Co 6:20 You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.

Although the above scripture applies to sexual immorality, it can be interpreted as applicable to many more aspects of life. Such as smoking. We get but one chance to live life on this planet. Early people lived in excess of 900 years, and I want to reach at least 100. Why? Because it is possible. But if I continue smoking, I am doing myself harm, possibly permanent harm.

But I digress. Perhaps my analogy does hold true. For which inhabitant of a house will just park on the couch, messing, and refuse to get up so you can vacuum around the couch? Alright, I can think of a few people! But the Holy Spirit certainly not.

So, what I am really trying to say is that I should clean my spiritual house more regularly. Cleaning my physical house is rewarding, how much more rewarding will a clean spiritual house be?

No comments: